Friday, October 9, 2009

October Brings Slow Days In The Studio

October rolled into a quiet studio...a room filled with paintings all lined in a row against the walls, bookshelves, t.v. dinner trays, lamp stands, tool boxes and some just flat out laying on the floor. I suppose it is the same for most artist to have a periods of down time. Especially, just after many solid months of habitual studio work. The same goes for me...



My series of eleven paintings which I've called "Arte de un Hombre Porbe" (Art of a Poor Man), are completed and ready for viewing. The switch from active artist mode to promotion mode as always been a slow transition for me. My creative habit to rush to the studio daily and produce something is suddenly halted. Often causing me to have moments of blank stares and thoughtless meandering within my mind as I struggle to focus on any task...be it the next composition or more importantly, the pushing, planning and promoting of a gallery viewing.



Here is the Artist Statement I wrote describing the process of the mentioned series:



"The following eleven paintings were composed over the course of the 2009 summer season. In an attempt to purge myself from becoming too comfortable in my usual technique, I started a series of small paintings on refuse paper. All completed within a matter of minutes, these paintings were a departure from my usual large and tedious canvas compositions. The idea was to paint quickly, randomly, without prejudice of color and most importantly, be satisfied with the inexplicable outcome. Once completed, they were mounted upon refuse cardboard I found where ever rubbish was accumulating. I found this manner of behavior an appropriate theme for the series. Necessity is often considered “The Mother of All Invention”, and even more so for the artist in these economical times. The use of these unique materials allowed the paintings to express something more intimate within my paint application process. To be satisfied in the studio is never easy, and all the more difficult when forced to be happy with a total accident of color and gesture. To paint intensely for a moment and, just as quickly, completely disregard the composition proved all the more grueling. Over time, as the paintings began to litter my studio floor, they came to represent the constant aborted thoughts within my unconscious mind. As if some psychological dairy written in the language of color and gesture. Composed and mounted in the most naked and rudimentary way, these paintings of which I speak of are hanging for you now."

"Arte De Un Hombre Porbe" Series


"Untiled"


"My Autumn Seizure"


"A Possible Grin" (Self-Portrait)


"Coast Withdrawals"


"Untiled"


"We Are Both Cowards"


"A Blemish Forms As I Sleep"


"Soul Of A Clown"


"Untiled" (Self-Portrait)


"Free Radical"


"Untiled" (Self-Portrait)

The titles are subject to change...as often is the case with me.

Plenty of work still to do...

And none of it will require a brush nor paint...

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Keith for viewing my blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work.. my favorite is your last one ("the other" self portrait!)...curious to know if you will change the title

    best,
    Claudia
    aka: OlivosARTstudio

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for viewing my art blog Claudia and warm comments! I'll let you know if I get to changing things around...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Splendid! Just added your blog to my feed reader :-) Will be visiting again.
    Cheers and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Lohang! I'll will follow your blog as well! thanks again for viewing and Cheers!

    ReplyDelete